ScalaHosting is an independent hosting service headquartered in the United States.
It boasts lightning-fast speeds, superior customer service, and a robust feature set – even for its most affordable shared hosting option.
Shared hosting from ScalaHosting is a semi-reliable option for new or low-traffic websites.
While their servers load quickly, their uptime is disappointingly below average, which is their primary disadvantage.
Apart from the uptime guarantee, you get feature-rich hosting plans at an affordable price, an easy way to test their service, and an excellent 24/7 support system.
Let’s take a deeper look at what makes ScalaHosting’s shared hosting service tick and what makes it good or bad.
|Web Hosting Name||ScalaHosting|
|Plans Start From||$3.95/ Month|
|Promo Code/Coupon||Get 50% Discount|
|Features||SSL encryption, Free SSL and CDN, automated backup, 99.9% uptime, unlimited emails, unmetered bandwidth.|
What is ScalaHosting?
ScalaHosting was founded in 2007 and is based in the United States. The unique aspect of this host was their emphasis on VPS options.
Their goal was to make VPS (and, more recently, Cloud) plans accessible to a broader audience.
The web hosting industry’s product categories are often quite clear — there is shared hosting at the entry level.
Following that, you’ll enter the virtual private server/cloud computing and dedicated server hosting areas.
The latter were often more costly and did not gain widespread acceptance until much later.
They have long since moved beyond pricing and are now focusing on cutting-edge technology.
ScalaHosting’s inventory includes solutions such as SPanel, which allows customers to manage their hosting settings more easily.
Also Read: HostPapa Web Hosting Pricing
Why Choose ScalaHosting?
ScalaHosting has developed into an excellent choice for people seeking dedicated or cloud server hosting.
ScalaHosting is not an ultra-cheap hosting company, but it leverages technology innovation to drive down costs in various areas.
Their cloud servers provide unlimited web hosting to websites powered by WordPress or other content management systems, as well as enterprise and webmail resellers, with managed and unmanaged service options.
SPanel, ScalaHosting’s in-house web hosting control panel, was one of the most exciting steps the company took. It arrived just when cPanel increased its rates, and users need a viable, highly compatible alternative.
Additionally, the company also offers fully managed virtual private server (VPS) services on its own and in collaboration with Digital Ocean and AWS. This provides them an impressive breadth of product – especially when you consider the very low costs.
ScalaHosting can be trusted to provide a high-performance, ultra-secure, and cost-effective hosting solution.
Scala’s cloud VPS also includes a management panel, daily backups, and snapshots, all of which are managed by specialists 24/7/365 for as little as $12 per month.
Read Affordable BigRock Web Hosting Pricing
ScalaHosting Review – Plans and Pricing
ScalaHosting offers three different types of hosting.
There are Web, WordPress, and VPS options available for your projects. You can select any features you want and have them added.
Shared Web Hosting
ScalaHosting offers three different shared hosting plans. These are almost identical to the WordPress hosting plans offered by the company.
The entry-level tier is the most basic and is fairly similar to that of the majority of other hosts. Scala benefits become more apparent as you go up the ladder.
For instance, their Start plan includes SShield Cyber-security, while the Advanced plan adds Pro Spam Protection and a few additional features.
If you go that route, you might as well consider a VPS/Cloud plan, which starts at the same introductory price.
- Mini: Starts at $3.95 per month
- Start: Starts at $5.95 per month
- Advanced: Starts at $9.95 per month
Scala Hosting offers WordPress content management system (CMS) installation on any server. Having said that, it also sells WordPress-only hosting.
There are three plans—WP Mini, WP Start, and WP Advanced—that are identical in terms of features and cost as the company’s shared hosting packages.
The exception is the WP Mini plan, which is less expensive; it starts at $7.95 a month for a 12-month subscription, with a special introductory price of $3.95 per month.
- WP Mini: Starts at $3.95 per month
- WP Start: Starts at $5.95 per month
- WP Advanced: Starts at $9.95 per month
Managed/Unmanaged VPS Hosting
ScalaHosting’s managed VPS plans are the best of the best, and at their low cost, they are a great deal.
With the features and resources provided in these plans, they provide an excellent sandbox environment for customers new to VPS.
The primary difference between these plans and unmanaged plans is that they include the benefits of SPanel.
This results in much higher cost-effectiveness when considering that you’re on a managed plan.
Scala’s unmanaged VPS/Cloud plans do not include a WHCP. Thus you’ll need to install one yourself or upgrade your account to include one.
This may potentially increase your costs, making it more cost-efficient to pick a Managed plan and use SPanel for free.
As with Managed plans, you may customize your plan with a selection of add-ons.
For example, you may choose to integrate more cPanel licenses, enhance network speeds, or even modify minor resource differences – all at a reasonable cost.
Managed VPS Hosting:
- Start: Starts at $14.95 per month
- Advanced: Starts at $32.95 per month
- Business: Starts at $72.95 per month
- Enterprise: Starts at $152.95 per month
Self-Managed VPS Hosting:
- Custom pricing
ScalaHosting Pros and Cons
Here’s a quick overview of the pros and cons customers may expect from ScalaHosting:
- Powerful SPanel: SPanel was developed and is owned entirely by ScalaHosting as a substitute for cPanel. SPanel is a completely compatible and practical alternative to cPanel, and ScalaHosting’s license costs are much lower. This WHCP is a complete package, which means that the buck stops here. You’ll be able to handle every aspect of your account, from email to DNS, via a single user interface.
- 99% Uptime Guarantee: One of the biggest benefits of using ScalaHosting is that they have a 99% uptime guarantee. This means that your website will be up and running most of the time, which is crucial for online businesses.
- Free SSL: ScalaHosting offers free SSL certificates for all websites hosted on their servers. This helps keep your website and its data safe and secure, which is important for any business.
- Free Domain & Migration: ScalaHosting also offers free domain name registration and website migration. This makes it easy for customers to get started with their new hosting account and eliminates some of the hassle associated with moving a website from one host to another.
- Knowledgeable Customer Service: This hosting provider has knowledgeable and friendly customer service. If you ever have any questions or problems with your hosting account, their customer service team is available 24/7 to help you out. They will be able to answer your questions and help you resolve any issues quickly and efficiently.
- Price Hikes Upon Renewal: One potential downside of using ScalaHosting is that their prices increase upon renewal. This can be frustrating for customers who are not made aware of this before they sign up for an account. While the initial pricing may be affordable, customers could end up paying more than they expected if they don’t renew their accounts early.
- Limited Server Locations: ScalaHosting only offers hosting in three data centers. This means that you will be limited to the locations where their servers are located. However, this might not matter since ScalaHosting’s servers are incredibly fast and reliable, which is what really matters for most customers.
- Basic Plans Have Limited Storage: The Basic hosting plans offered by ScalaHosting are more for personal use rather than business use. These plans do not offer much storage space for your website files. If you are looking to host a large website or application, then this is not the right plan for you.
Alternatives of ScalaHosting
If you’re not satisfied with ScalaHosting, or you’re looking for a hosting provider with more features, then here are a few alternatives that you might want to consider:
Bluehost’s Basic shared hosting plan is the same price as ScalaHosting’s Mini plan after the first-year discount, at $5.95 per month for a 12-month period.
Bluehost customers receive 50GB of SSD storage for this price, compared to 20GB from ScalaHosting, as well as free SSL, free CDN, and a free domain for a year.
However, unlike ScalaHosting’s basic plan, Bluehost’s does not feature free automatic backups, which may be a significant disadvantage for some users.
While ScalaHosting does not provide unlimited storage with any of its shared web hosting options, Bluehost customers can upgrade to the Plus plan and get unlimited SSD storage.
ScalaHosting’s second tier, on the other hand, offers just 50 GB of SSD storage, the same as
Bluehost’s Basic plan.
Read: Bluehost Pricing Review
Liquid Web is a more complex and powerful Scala Hosting option. If you feel Scala will be insufficient for your website, Liquid Web is a reasonable next step.
With this one, you can choose between managed and unmanaged services with InterWorx, cPanel, or Plesk control panels.
If you choose managed services, the provider is relatively simple to use.
However, the InterWorx interfaces are significantly different from standard cPanel or even Scala’s SPanel. This means that it may take some time to adjust.
Nonetheless, Liquid Web provides significant power for large and popular websites, as well as web-based applications.
Detailed Article Liquid Web Pricing Review
DreamHost is often regarded as one of the top hosting services on the market due to its affordable cost, superior performance, and extensive feature set.
When comparing the basic plans offered by DreamHost and ScalaHosting, DreamHost is significantly less expensive at $4.95 per month without a long-term commitment.
Additionally, DreamHost has a 97-day money-back guarantee, unlike ScalaHosting’s 30-day guarantee.
While DreamHost’s basic plan has unlimited SSD storage and unlimited bandwidth, it does not provide a free domain like ScalaHosting’s Mini plan does. Users may, however, buy a “.com” domain for $6.99.
Detailed Article Dreamhost Web Hosting Pricing Review
By now, you’ve probably noticed that most of ScalaHosting’s plans aren’t very extravagant.
There are a few technologies that make a major difference in favor of the company.
Personally, we think that SShield is an excellent value offer for a large number of people.
For the cost of hosting, you get a robust, secure solution that you would have to spend more for — not to mention install and manage on your own – otherwise.
SPanel is hardly a game-changer in terms of VPS accounts, but it does provide consumers with something that is not readily available elsewhere.
That is, a truly viable alternative if they want to avoid the higher prices charged by cPanel.
Overall, ScalaHosting is a great option for hosting your website. Their prices are affordable, they offer a wide range of features, and their servers are incredibly fast and reliable.
However, there are a few downsides to using their services. Some of these include the price increase upon renewal and the limited server locations.
If you’re looking for an alternative to ScalaHosting, then Bluehost or DreamHost are both good options.
What is ScalaHosting?
ScalaHosting is a managed hosting provider that focuses on providing users with reliable website hosting services using the Scala programming language.
Is ScalaHosting reliable?
The company offers both traditional shared hosting and virtual private server (VPS) hosting.
Based on our experience, we can say that ScalaHosting is very reliable for the most part.
Does ScalaHosting offer SSL certificates?
ScalaHosting offers free Let’s Encrypt certificates with all of their shared hosting plans.
Unfortunately, these do not cover domains added onto other services such as eNom or Google Domains.
However, for any customers who use their free Let’s Encrypt certificates on shared hosting plans, they can purchase discounted SSL certificates via the ScalaHosting website.
How good is ScalaHosting's tech support?
ScalaHosting is known to have fast and efficient tech support. Their tech support rep will always try to resolve your issue before considering closing your ticket.
Amit Gupta is the Writer & Editor of Best-Hosting.org, a website that provides helpful guides and resources on Website Designing, Hosting, and Speed Optimization. After completing his high school certification, Amit spent half a decade learning about website designing using different hosting servers available. Before forming Best-Hosting.org, Amit worked for several hosting companies.